top of page

Want to know More About ? 

Aka...Celebrant FAQ's

How do we book your celebrant services?

I will provide you with my Service Agreement at our first meeting.  It details all the terms and conditions – what you can expect from me and what I require from you.  To book me for a specific date (noting that I will only book one wedding per day), I require you to sign the Service Agreement and pay a non-refundable booking fee. I accept cash or a direct bank transfer.  I don’t accept credit card payments.  Once that is received, I will send you a receipt for payment and invoice for the outstanding amount, but you have secured me for the date you requested! 

If your date changes, you need to contact me immediately to check availability.

How can we meet you?

I am flexible in my ability to meet with you, obviously around my other commitments. Weekends are often busy, (as weekends are when many people want their ceremonies)

If you are in Canberra, I can come to you, you can come to me in Campbell, or we can meet somewhere that is mutually convenient (and quiet enough for us to talk).  If you are interstate or overseas, then there are lots of options that we can use to speak (skype, facetime etc). 

How far in advance do we need to contact you about your celebrant services?

You need to complete the NOIM a minimum of 1 month and maximum of 18 months before the wedding, unless you have approval from a prescribed authority (only given in limited circumstances).  It is best to contact me as soon as you have set the date for your wedding (Although I’m happy to have an initial meeting if you haven’t set the date). 

Can you help us with venues in Canberra?


I know lots of wonderful places in and around Canberra and I’ve worked with many wonderful venues and vendors. I’m happy to make some suggestions once I know about your wedding dreams and plans – that way I can tailor my recommendations.

Which other wedding vendors in Canberra do you recommend?

There are many wonderful wedding vendors in Canberra, and most of us are more than happy to travel as well! I don’t put up lists of recommendations – as every couple is different. Once I know more about you and what you want for your wedding, I’m happy to give you recommendations. 

marriage celebrant canberra at garden wedding

What documentation do we need for our wedding?

To complete the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) I need to see your

  • passport (Australian or foreign) OR

  • original birth certificate and a driver’s licence (or other form of official photo ID), and

  • evidence of termination of your most recent marriage, for example, original divorce papers or your former spouse’s death certificate (if applicable)


All these documents must be in English or have an official translation certificate.

What paperwork is required for our wedding?

There are a few documents which you are required to complete.  The Notice of Intended Marriage is the first document we will complete together.  I will talk you through all the other forms at our initial meeting, but they can all be found on the Attorney General’s Department website. 

How can we sign the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) if we aren’t in Canberra with you?

Currently, if you are in Australia, I can witness you signing the NOIM remotely (this change was made to assist in managing things during the pandemic). If you are overseas you will need an authorised person to witness you signing the NOIM. I can talk you through those requirements. 

What paperwork is required for our wedding?

As being a witness involves legal documents, witnesses must be over the age of 18.  It can be anyone you choose - they just must be able to witness you (hear you) say your official vows and sign your certificates. 

We have some ideas about what we want in our wedding.  Can we …

There are only a few legal requirements for the wedding ceremony.  I will explain these when we meet.  As long as these requirements are met, then there is a lot of scope to personalise your ceremony. 

As part of my services, we will discuss options and I’ll provide you with resources to assist your wedding ceremony planning.

Can we write our own vows?

Absolutely!  Again, there are some legal requirements, but once we have included those in what you are saying then you can expand on your vows and make them personal and meaningful.

Where can we get married?

I am authorised to solemnise marriages in Australia.  My fees are inclusive of venues within a reasonable drive of Canberra.  I love travel, so am more than willing to discuss other locations within Australia and my fees for your dream destination.

wedding celebrant canberra at garden wedding
canberra celebrant Debbie Taylor at garden wedding

Can I legally get married in Australia?

The Marriage Act 1961 states that “Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”

To be able to marry in Australia you must:

  • not be married to someone else (if your divorce is pending you can start the process, but your divorce must be finalised before you can marry)

  • not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister

  • be at least 18 years old, (if one person is between 16 and 18 a court order must be obtained)

  • understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying

  • use specific words during the ceremony (I will go through this with you)

  • give written notice of your intention to marry to an authorised celebrant (me), a minimum of one month before your ceremony

Do we need to have marriage counselling?

There are a few documents which you are required to complete.  The Notice of Intended Marriage is the first document we will complete together.  I will talk you through all the other forms at our initial meeting, but they can all be found on the Attorney General’s Department website. 

bottom of page